Frequently Asked Questions About Tubing
Here are a few of the most common questions about heat shrinkable tubing, sleeving, extruded tubing and related products.
1. How can I avoid splitting with Heat Shrink Tubing?
Allow shrinkable tubing to recover at least 20% to avoid splitting. Be sure to use a heat-gun at the proper suggested temperature and always use a reflector on the heat-gun for even heat dispersion. Either too much heat or improperly distributed heat is usually the cause of split tubing, especially PVC.
2. How do I keep HS-PVC from becoming undersized?
Shrinkable PVC needs to be stored below 70°F.
3. Why does my Marked image seem smaller after I shrink the tubing?
The Marked image shrinks along with the tubing.
4. If I have a flat width in Inches, how do I figure out the inner diameter?
Flat Width (IN) X 2 divided by 3.14159.
5. What is your lead time?
For products in stock, we typically ship same day or next day. For Value-added services (cutting to a length), we typically ship within 24 – 48 hours. For Markers, Kitting, Special Requests we typically ship in 1 – 2 weeks.
6. Will you certify to MIL-SPECS?
Yes. We have the capability to send a Packing Slip certification or a signed certification if requested.
7. Do you have the capability to Hot Stamp or mark on tubing?
Yes. IPC Markers are a low cost, simple, attractive and completely dry process.
8. How much inventory do you have at any one time?
We stock over 25 million feet of tubing so we are able to service our customers with quick deliveries.
9. Do you have a minimum order?
Our minimum order is $50
10. What is the difference between Melt Wall Polyolefin and Adhesive Lined Polyolefin?
Melt Wall Polyolefin has an inner meltable wall that flows and encapsulates. Adhesive Lined Polyolefin has an inner meltable wall that flows and adheres.
11. How is Layflat PVC measured?
Layflat PVC is measured by flat width in millimeters.
12. What MIL-SPEC can you certify your marking process to?
We can certify our Hot Stamp Marking process to MIL-STD-130, MIL-M-81531 (Permanency), MIL-M-60903 (Hot Stamp Only) and MIS-39598.
13. Do you offer Medical Grade products?
We can supply both Medical Grade tubing and Cyanoacrylate Adhesives.
14. Are you U/L Certified?
IPC is a U/L Certified Repackager and Printer.
15. What is RoHS?
RoHS is a European Union directive that bans hazardous substances. We carry many RoHS compliant products.
16. Can you provide PPAP and IMDS reports?
IPC can provide both PPAP’s and IMDS submissions for many of our products.
17. What can I use to shrink the tubing?
We recommend using a heat gun or oven to provide a consistent temperature. Be sure to use a heat-gun at the proper suggested temperature and always use a reflector on the heat-gun for even heat dispersion. Either too much heat or improperly distributed heat is usually the cause of split tubing, especially PVC.
18. Do you have someone who can visit my location?
IPC has a dedicated Sales Staff that can work with you on-site to help with all of your requirements.
19. Do you have the capability to make custom logos for marking the tubing?
IPC has the capability to create custom logos for a minimal charge.